Do you want to start your WordPress blog? Are you willing to learn WordPress? Are you afraid about wastage of money? If yes, then here is a complete solution for you. Many of us want to learn WordPress because it is very popular CMS. But some of us might think that to learn WordPress, one must have domain and host. Yes, we need domain and host to create website or blog with WordPress. But to make a website or blog, we should have sound knowledge on WordPress. We can learn WordPress in our LocalHost. LocalHost provides best place where you can start your learning. Again it is not only limited to learning WordPress only. Let me share my experience of WordPress with LocalHost. I use XAMPP to run WordPress in localhost.
I am a person who loves to experiment with different things. I prefer to use and test different themes and plugins before I use them on my actual blog. So to test those themes and plugins, I use XAMPP in my computer. There are many blogger and WordPress developers out there who use XAMPP for testing purpose. XAMPP will provide an ideal testing condition to test your website. In this post, I am going to explain you how you can use XAMPP for your WordPress.
Read More: How To Start WordPress Blog In 30 Minutes
What is XAMPP?
XAMPP is open source software which allows you to set up your local environment. XAMPP stands for cross-platform, Apache, MySQL, PHP and Perl. This is very lightweight software which helps you to create local web server on which you can perform different test. It is cross-platform means that you can run this software on any operating system like Windows, UNIX or Mac. WordPress is a stand-alone application which requires some server software to run. XAMPP provides all the necessary software by which WordPress can run easily.
How to Install WordPress on XAMPP?
- To install WordPress on XAMPP, first you need to install XAMPP on your computer (If you don’t have). Download XAMPP from its official website www.apachefriends.org.
- Once you download XAMPP, you need to install it on your computer. The installation process is very simple. You just need to follow the instructions.
- Once you are done with the installation process then you need to start XAMPP. To start XAMPP go to XAMPP control panel. In this panel, you just need to start Apache and MySQL services.
4. Once you start these two services, you need to create database for WordPress. Database creation process is very easy in XAMPP. To create database, go to type localhost/phpmyadmin/ in address bar. Then click on Database. Now you just need to give database name in the box. Then click on create. In this image, I have created database with name “WP”.
5. After the creation of database, you need to download the latest version of WordPress. To download WordPress go here.
6.Once you finish the process of downloading, go to XAMPP folder. In this folder, open htdocs folder. In htdocs folder, you need to place all the extracted WordPress file which you have downloaded in the previous step. Now rename that folder as WP. So you will not face any naming confliction.
7.Now open WP folder and find file whose name is wp-config-sample.php. Open that file in any text editor. You need to change something in this file. To change the necessary things follow the exact steps. Scroll down a bit in that file. You will see the text as below image.
Here as per the above image you need to change few things. You need to change database name with the name which you have kept while creating the database. Then you should change the username with “root” and leave “password_here” blank.
Save the file as wp-config.php and close it.
- Now open your browser and go to http://localhost/wp. In this screen you need to select the language. Select language as English and press continue.
- In the next screen, you just need to feel all the details for your WordPress installation. Make sure you remember your username and password. This username and password you will need when you want to access the admin panel of WordPress.
- Now, you have done the complete process. In this last step, you just need to open the WordPress in your localhost. To open WordPress in localhost, go to localhost/wp/wp-admin. Here just enter your username and password and you can login into your admin panel of WordPress.
So with this guide, I have mentioned all the steps and resources which you need while creating perfect environment for testing in your computer. The above steps might feel long but believe me it is very simple process. Once you installed WordPress in your localhost, you can play with it. The speed of testing will also increases with local testing. You don’t need any domain or host to create website or apply any test. Once you are done with creation of website, you can export it on the actual server. So this way, you can save your money and time with XAMPP.
If you are having any difficulties in the installation process then let me know anytime. I would like to help you with the process. If you like this post then do share it with your friends and help them to set up WordPress in LocalHost. Share your experience with local environment via comments.